- Health Department
- Environmental Sanitation (Onsite Septic Systems)
Environmental Sanitation (Onsite Septic Systems)
The goal of the Environmental Health Specialist is to investigate and mitigate environmental and public health issues concerning the land, air and water of Spencer County. To accomplish this, we must effectively incorporate the practices and procedures necessary to ensure that the federal, state, and local laws and ordinances concerning the environmental quality of Spencer County are met.
Onsite Sewage Disposal
Our onsite sewage disposal program follows a procedure using the size of the home and the site/soil profile information, to tailor onsite sewage disposal systems to each individual site. Permits, consultations and inspections are provided for new construction and replacement of onsite sewage disposal systems. Educating home owners on system operation has become a priority. Homeowners who are interested in the operations or location of their existing system should contact the Spencer County Health Department.
Environmental hazard investigations are conducted by the Environmental Health Specialist for any condition that could impact the public health or environmental quality of Spencer County. Such conditions include water contamination and failed onsite sewage disposal systems. These investigations can be initiated from reports filed by citizens or local, state, or federal agencies.
Corrective actions are initiated because of these investigations. Court actions may be a part of this process. Citizens with any environmental concern should contact the environmental health specialist. Reports may not be made anonymously.
Other Useful Telephone Numbers AND INFORMATION
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management: 888-672-8323
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources: 317-232-4002
- Indiana State Department of Health: 800-382-9480
- Nuisance Wildlife Hotline: 800-893-4116
- Region 5 U.S. EPA: 800-621-8431
- Spencer County Emergency Management Agency: 812-649-6020
- Spencer County Soil and Water Conservation Group: 812-649-9136, Ext. 3
- Residential On-Site Sewage Systems - Rule410 IAC 6-8.3
- IOWPA Practice Exam
- Application for Private/Residential Sewage Disposal System
- Fill in the blank Commercial Septic Application (PDF)
- Fill in the blank Re-Inspection Application (PDF)
- Septic Ordinance 2019-03
- Septic System Permit Application - Commercial (PDF)
- Septic System Re-Inspection Application (PDF)
- Soil Scientists
- Certified Installer Class Information
- 2022 Certified Installer List
- Home Owners Packet